Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ear to the Ground

Someone I knew, long ago, once told me to turn off a song that was playing on my car radio. "That's not music!" she complained, in reference to the thick drumbeats and undulating wails of a Cree or Blackfoot anthem (I can't remember). I couldn't articulate much of a rebuttal at the time - this was a classically trained instrumentalist with a fine ear and heart for Schubert, who gushed over the intricacies of a Rachmaninoff concerto. Her judgment bothered me though - there was something in these rhythms that I trusted, something that I deeply loved, without needing to understand why. If music is meant to conjure truth and beauty, to exhibit the human sense of holiness, then this was surely music to me.

This sense returned to me recently as I sat in the healing room of our local hospital, as one in a circle of community members who had gathered to bless a new handbook on moving forward through (and from) the ravages of residential school. It was an emotional affair, as this town is torn through with so many stories of loss and pain and tragedy, many of multi-generational scope, most only now beginning to be told. A women's hand drum group was offering an honour song, and all of us stood in the round to receive it. The music rolled us into a vibrant, vibrating whole. Rhythms that, if seen on paper might seem mundane and repetitious, served to perfectly convey the sprit of this gathering, its meaning and moment in the now of these gifted and grieving human lives. No symphony could have resonated it better, with more real, age- and earth-won wisdom.

No comments: